[Homestead] Chickens & Poison Ivy

Walter H.Jeffries Highlands at blacklightning.com
Wed Sep 1 18:10:00 EDT 2004

On Sep 1, 2004, at 3:14 PM, Lisa Perry wrote:
> Legacy for Life makes products (Biochoice and Immune26) containing
> freeze dried eggs from chickens innoculated with a wide assortment of
> germs and diseases including staph and influenza.  The freeze dried
> eggs contain antibodies from the chicken and the antibodies supposedly
> make a person more resistant to the menu of innoculated germs.  It's a
> little more complex than this, but you get the idea.  [I am not a
> distributor nor do I take the product.]
>
> Goats eat poison ivy and produce milk that contains the antibodies.
> If you drink goat's milk from a goat who consumed poison ivy you
> supposedly are less susceptible to getting poison ivy.

This point may seem minor but it is important to avoid confusion:
Poison ivy produces a chemical that causes a reaction (allergy) in some
people. It isn't a germ and there are no antibodies to fight it.
Drinking milk from goats that have eaten poison ivy _might_ help you
not be allergic to poison ivy but it is not via germ theory nor by
antibodies. Allergy theory is completely different.

In either case, may you never get poison ivy. :)

-Walter
in Vermont
studiously avoiding the poison ivy...