[freetds] How to connect Microsoft Sql server from R studio using freeTDS instead of RODBC package

Sergio NNX sfhacker at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 31 17:55:02 EDT 2016

> >   My  MS sql server and R environment running on my local machine and the
> > respective port was opened, from this link (http://www.freetds.org/
> > userguide/osissues.htm.) i didn't get much information ,can you please help
> > out  me is there any way that can i download it and configured it on
> > widnows 8.

We are happy to assist you but unfortunately we don't have any Windows 8 as to test your requirement(s). Can we use another Windows version?

> Frediano will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a
> binary distribution file
> you can just download and install.

There are plenty of binary distributions you could try.

> >>   I don't know Shiny however if I understood:
> >> - you have a R application running inside this cloud;
> >> - the application should use RODBC to connect to some SQL Server
> >> database using ODBC.
> >> Now I know ODBC. ODBC mainly use drivers (dynamic modules) to connect
> >> to different database types. .............

It seems to me that we haven't done much (if any at all) reading about ODBC and the like. There are many tutorials online you could have a look at.

Cheers.