[freetds] [FreeTDS] connection pool

Frediano Ziglio freddy77 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 09:18:02 EDT 2016

> Hi Experts
>

>     I use FreeTDS (linux) to communicate with a SQL server 2005 in Windows,
>
> and tried to use [dbcmd() and dbsqlexec()]  100 times to insert 1 item to database tables.
>
>    The performance is that one insert statement consumes about 2~3ms.
>

>     I know there is a so called Connection pool, but it only support TDS 4.2 while SQL server need TDS 7.2.
>

>    So in order to optimize the performance, I may need to open 2 or more connections, it is a little hard to
>
> control these connections.
>

>    My question is that are there some ways to optimize the performace.
>
> The target should be 1ms per 1 insert statement.
>

> Any suggetions are welcome.
>

> Thanks
>
> Eric

It's not clear if the problem is application or connections.
If you have one application that needs to insert rows into a table
it's better to batch the inserts instead of using a query for each
row.
If you have multiple process each needing to connect to database and
insert a row then would be better to use a connection pooling. The
connection pooling included in FreeTDS 1.0 supports protocol 7.2 with
some limitations.

Frediano