[freetds] affected rows after insert

David Nichols david at qore.org
Tue Oct 20 01:45:20 EDT 2015

On Oct 19, 2015, at 10:20 PM, Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Please try a more recent version (like 0.95.21). Also you should sent
>>> some extract of your tests. Can you post an updated patch?
>>>
>> sorry it was a typo on my side - it was 0.95.21 that I tried.  Anyway since it failed in git master then I would assume that would be more relevant than the last stable release.
>>
>> Attached please find a patch to git master sources that makes my tests work.  Please note that we are using ctlib from freetds to build a DBI driver for the Qore programming language to talk to SQL Server and Sybase DBs; the same source builds with both the sybae libs and ctlib from freetds.  Currently my tests are written in the Qore programming language, so there are quite a few layers between the Qore code that’s executed and freetds’s ctlib.
>>
>> When this simple test works (ie only with a patch ctlib); the output looks like this:
>>
>> dnichols at manatee:~/src/qore/git/module-sybase/src$ simple-rows-affected-test.q
>> "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (RTM) - 10.0.1600.22 (X64)
>>        Jul  9 2008 14:17:44
>>        Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation
>>        Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)"
>> insert: 1
>> n delete: 0
>> sel: {id: [1]}
>> delete: 1
>> insert: 1
>> delete: 1
>>
>> When it doesn’t work (ie with an unpatched ctlib), the output looks like this:
>> dnichols at manatee:~/src/qore/git/module-sybase/src$ simple-rows-affected-test.q
>> "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (RTM) - 10.0.1600.22 (X64)
>>        Jul  9 2008 14:17:44
>>        Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation
>>        Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)"
>> insert: 0
>> n delete: 0
>> sel: {id: [1]}
>> delete: 0
>> insert: -1
>> delete: -1
>>
>> The Qore source to this simple test is attached for your reference.
>>

> I applied the patch and improved a test to catch this issue. I changed
> the patch slightly to check for TDS_NO_COUNT instead of <0 and
> returning CS_CMD_SUCCEEDED as ct_res_info documentation

My test fails with your patch; if I change it back to:
				case _CS_RES_INIT:   /* command had no result set */
					if (tds->rows_affected != TDS_NO_COUNT) {
						*result_type = CS_CMD_DONE;
						cmd->results_state = _CS_RES_INIT;
						return CS_SUCCEED;
					}
					break;

then it succeeds - please note that his is a hack from my side, I’m not saying that the original approach is correct, just that my test fails unless I set CS_CMD_DONE

thx
David