[freetds] 0.91 freebcp performance

Ray Rankins rrankins at gothamconsulting.com
Mon Jun 22 13:10:38 EDT 2015

Thanks Matt,
I might expect some slight performance degradation compared to Sybase bcp (or SQL Server bcp), but I'm seeing orders of magnitude degradation (1.5 minutes versus 1.5 hours for 5 million rows).

The table is pretty simple - no large object types.
Mostly int and float fields. Largest char field is 7 characters.
There is one non-nulllable date field at the end which has a default - freebcp didn't like that the file didn't contain a value for the last field, but I worked around this using a format file or by making the last field nullable.

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[test_table](
                [val_geo] [char](5) NOT NULL,
                [cd_wrsi_mdl] [smallint] NOT NULL,
                [cd_geo_srce] [int] NOT NULL,
                [cd_ppty_type_cpr] [char](1) NOT NULL,
                [cd_mrtg_purp_altv] [char](4) NOT NULL,
                [text_grth_multr_mol] [char](7) NOT NULL,
                [cd_geo_type] [smallint] NULL,
                [rate_grth_multr] [float] NULL,
                [rate_std_dev_neg] [float] NULL,
                [rate_std_dev_pstv] [float] NULL,
                [dt_lst_updt] [date]  default getdate()NULL
)

Initially, I was running freebcp from a Solaris host to SQL Server on Windows, but then I tested Sybase bcp and freebcp both running on the same Solaris client and importing into the same ASE server running on a Linux host, so it was an apples to apples comparison between the 2.

The import file is a text file, so the flags I'm using are -c, -t, -r with the -b to set a batch size of 10000
Also tried -f with a format file and there was no noticeable performance difference (although there did appear to be a bug when using the format file where seemed to ignore the -b option).

I don't have much access to the Sybase server to do too much monitoring, but what I could see, it seemed like it was waiting on network I/O most of the time.
Is there and easy way to tell of the BCP is using fast bcp versus fully logged besides looking at what's being written to the log file?

-Ray