[freetds] 0.91 freebcp performance

Matthew matthew.green at datamartcomputing.com
Sat Jun 20 09:40:20 EDT 2015

Hi Ray,

I did come across performance problems when compared to Sybase bcp but
those were mostly around text and image data types. Those problems
appeared to be fixed, in my testing, or at least greatly improved when I
tried a nightly from a few weeks ago.

What's the definition of the table you are using and which flags are you
using? Can you take a look inside the Sybase server and see what it's
waiting for when you use freetds and which packet size the connection is
using? I assume your comparison is from the same machine and it's not
the case that you're running the Sybase bcp locally and freetds
remotely? Can you see if both are using fast bcp, i.e. minimally logged
or are both using fully logged?

Just some ideas unless someone else has got better ones!

Cheers,

Matthew