[freetds] Out-of-the-box "date format" values for "default" and "en_US" locales

Fredy Paquet fredy at opag.ch
Tue Apr 14 02:46:52 EDT 2015

Hello Geoff

Beware that %z ist not supported by sprintf() on Win32

--
Fredy Paquet
OPAG Informatik AG

Am 14. April 2015, 1:30, schrieb Geoff Montee:
Hi Frediano,

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 8:39 AM, Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 at gmail.com> wrote:
Il 09/Apr/2015 18:40, "Geoff Montee" <geoff.montee at gmail.com> ha scritto:

In FreeTDS, the "default" and "en_US" locales have the following values of
"date format" defined in locales.conf:

[default]
date format = %b %e %Y %I:%M:%S:%z%p

[en_US]
date format = %b %e %Y %I:%M:%S:%z%p
language = us_english
charset = iso_1

Is there a reason that FreeTDS chose to separate the seconds and
milliseconds with a colon (':'), rather than a dot ('.')? A few users of
tds_fdw recently ran into issues with this:

https://github.com/GeoffMontee/tds_fdw/issues/13

Because of the ISO 8601 standard, I think most applications expect a dot
separator between seconds and milliseconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

These days, it may make sense to use ISO 8601 as the default "date
format",
since it is pretty universal. If FreeTDS is going to have a new release
soon, maybe it would be worth changing the default date format?

I don't remember the history but must be quite old.

Yes, default can change. As long is well documented I don't see the point
keeping the colon.

Thanks for the reply!

Changing the colon to a dot sounds good to me.

Would it be worth changing the default completely to an ISO
8601-compatible format? That would probably be something like:

[default]
date format = %Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%z

The main difference between that and ISO-8601 is that it wouldn't
contain the timezone offset. strftime uses %z for the timezone offset,
but FreeTDS uses %z for the milliseconds.

Thanks,

Geoff