[freetds] Plans for PHP7

Frediano Ziglio freddy77 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 13:45:15 EST 2015

> Hello,
>
> My organization uses PHP extensively to develop applications. I like to say we run a LAMP stack ... Linux Apache MSSQL and PHP :). Even though I can't write any C code, I always try to keep tabs on the development of PHP, FreeTDS and other technologies we need to do our jobs. Today I ran across the  initiative (http://gophp7.org/gophp7-ext/ ) . Their goal it to get the extension writers to update their code for PHP7 before PHP7 ships. While looking around, it seems to me that the mssql extension has not been updated yet. It looks like it has been confirmed by https://wiki.php.net/rfc/removal_of_dead_sapis_and_exts as it has been removed from the PHP code repository (master branch, but the latest release branch still has it so, mssql will not be in the next minor or major release). Is there any way that one of the FreeTDS maintainers can look at the MSSQL PHP extension and make sure it works with PHP7?
>

> Chris

No, there is no plan to support external software. However there are
different extensions you can use that will be supported in PHP7 like
pdo_dblib or odbc. You should probably convert your software to use
these extensions or write some small wrapper in PHP7 to emulate old
mssql extensions using another extension.

Frediano