[freetds] Next stable release

LacaK lacak at zoznam.sk
Tue Jan 20 02:12:02 EST 2015

Frediano Ziglio  wrote / napísal(a):

>> Hi,
>> is there any plan, or time estimation for next (post 0.91) stable release of
>> FreeTDS ?
>> (as it is more than 3 years after 0.91 was released)
>> If not, then is current git master stable enough?
>> (or are there any work in progress changes?)
>> Thanks
>> -Laco.
>>

> Hi,
>   I have to say that the code state is quite in a wonderful state.
>
> Unfortunately the project state is not. James mainly left the project
> so I'm the only guy left. I still miss some access (for instance the
> snapshots work not correctly but I can't actually fix them).
>
> The code. Tests are more and run better than 0.91. There are many
> improvements and mssql 2008 protocol is supported. dblib can handle
> newer protocols (beside some small restrictions due to protocol
> changes). The only reasons current tests does not fully pass are not
> regressions (same tests would fail on 0.91) and are due to very
> restrictive checks.

Okay this is good news
IMO if you do not have on your To-Do list any important changes, then it
is time to make new release ...
Of course I understand, that may be it is not so easy prepare new
release ...

I noticed that there was added in dblib new struct "DBCOL2" with support
in function "dbtablecolinfo"
DBCOL2 has added "TypeDeclaration" DBCHAR[256] member.
AFAIU this member uses "on_server.column_type" and
"on_server.column_size" and formats textual representation of data type
like "CHAR(20)" or "NVARCHAR(10)".
It is useful, but I must parse on client side this string, when I need
obtain server column data type.

Would it be possible add one or two more members to DBCOL2 (f.e.
ColumnType=on_server.column_type, ColumnSize=on_server.column_size) ?,
which will let client distinguish between:
  - SYBVARCHAR and SYBCHAR (see dbcoltype)
  - NCHAR, NVARCHAR and CHAR

What do you think about it ?
-Laco.