[freetds] bcp/datacopy numeric columns

Frediano Ziglio freddy77 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 00:51:48 EDT 2014

> Big thanks to Frediano for fixing bit columns in bcp.
>
> I'm running into a problem using datacopy and numerics now.  The decimals get truncated.
>
> The problem is easy to reproduce:
>
>          create table tempdb..tbla (num numeric(10,2))
>          insert tempdb..tbla values (12345.67)
>
>          $ datacopy -c dbo -S SRV/usr/pw/tempdb/tbla -D SRV/usr/pw/tempdb/tblb
>
>          select * from tempdb..tbla
>          num
>          -------------
>                12345.67
>

>          select * from tempdb..tblb
>          num
>          -------------
>               12345.00
>
> Note we lost 0.67.  No error messages from data copy.
> The problem occurs with both Sybase and MS SQL Server.
> I’m running this on SPARC, if endianess matters.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Hi,
  it happens even on Intel, it's not an architecture problem. The
problem is that dbbind does not take into consideration source
precision/scale. I'm going to improve dbbind (and perhaps add
dbbind_ps) in order to make possible to support copying numeric
entirely with precision/scale based on the source.

Frediano