[freetds] What is the latest stable release of freetds?

Frediano Ziglio freddy77 at gmail.com
Mon May 19 02:47:51 EDT 2014

> Hello, I'm a developer with the MacPorts project. We have a package for freetds in MacPorts, currently at version 0.92.405. We updated to this version on 2012-11-12. We did this based on the fact that 0.92.405 is the largest version number listed at ftp://ftp.freetds.org/pub/freetds/stable/ . No further changes have occurred in the MacPorts freetds package since then.
>

> A few days ago it was brought to our attention that 0.92.405 is 1.5 years old and that many newer stable versions have been released since then, numbered in the 0.91 series.
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/43700
>

> Confusion regarding freetds version numbering and determining what the latest stable version is has been expressed before:
>
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/freetds/2013q4/028733.html
>
> The concern raised in that thread -- that the freetds-stable.tgz file linked from the freetds.org homepage is version 0.91 from 2011 and many newer versions have appeared in the stable ftp directory in the years since then -- remains unresolved. FreeCode also lists 0.91 as the latest stable version of freetds:
>
> http://freecode.com/projects/freetds
>

> I would like to know:
>
> * What is the latest stable version number today, to which we should update our MacPorts package?
>
> * How should MacPorts programmatically determine what the latest stable version number is? In other words, what is the URL of a web page whose contents we can download and apply a regular expression to determine the latest stable version number?
>
> Thank you.

I this there are problems regards:
1- versions
2- directory content
3- automatic scripts

1- the stable version is 0.91, 0.92 is still developing (although we
keep quality high);
2- ftp://ftp.freetds.org/pub/freetds/stable/ contains some file marked
0.92 while it should not;
3- freetds-stable.tgz should be a link that points to the last version
but is not the case. Also current
(ftp://ftp.freetds.org/pub/freetds/stable/) are stuck to 14/4 while
there has been a lot of changes. Also last versions of snapshot does
not contain proper userguide (probably due to some changes I did)

Frediano