[freetds] db-lib: support for new MS SQL 2008 data types - part 3

Frediano Ziglio freddy77 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 15:04:45 EDT 2014

> Hi again,
> Now I am personally happy with patched db-lib in regards of support new DATE
> - TIME data types.

Great! Yesterday I discovered a problem with BCP adding some tests for
these new types, still to fix.

> But there are still missing some parts, which may be interesting to somebody
> else.
> I meant dbbind() family of API with corresponding *BIND constants and binary
> structure used to store this types.
>
> How to handle binding of new date, time types ?
>
> - introduce new DBDATETIMEALLBIND (or DBDATETIME2BIND) constant in sybdb.h ?

could work

> - introduce new DBDATETIMEALL struct (==TDS_DATETIMEALL struct) in sybdb.h
> ?

Mmm... well... could be or not. Microsoft for ODBC defined quite
different structures (one more similar to DBDATEREC). TDS_DATETIMEALL
is neither from TDS protocol neither intended to be presented to
clients. It's a mix of TDS protocols, numeric, old dates (values are
the same as dtdays). On the other end I could understand that
providing dbdata different from libTDS is far from easy.

> - add support to copy_data_to_host_var() function in dblib.c ?

Ehmm... what do you mean?

> If you give me direction I can prepare patch ...
> (if it is good idea add support for BINDing ?)

Not good, excellent! And much easier as you don't have to store a
buffer but you can provide what do you want to the client.

> Thanks
> -Laco.

Frediano