[freetds] dbcoltype char vs. datetimeoffset

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Mon Sep 23 00:11:19 EDT 2013

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 02:58:44 +0000
Chris Kings-Lynne <Chris.Kings-Lynne at navitas.com> wrote:

> The dbcoltype() function returns code 47 for both varchar and
> datetimeoffset fields...is there any way to distinguish these - as
> they really are _rather_ different...

Less different than you might think, I'm afraid.

If you connect to a server that supports datetimeoffset with TDS 7.2,
you're using a protocol for which no datetimeoffset datatype is
defined.  On your behalf, the server provides the data as a string,
which you see as VARCHAR.  That's what's known as backwards
compatibility.

There are good reasons to update db-lib to support the new
datatypes, which after all are not so new anymore.  What is lacking
someone with time and interest.