[freetds] FreeTDS not giving any results

Marc Abramowitz marca at surveymonkey.com
Mon Sep 9 16:57:09 EDT 2013

I believe that I just found the problem and it's in pymssql 1.0.2. The
following patch to the C code in pymssql fixes the problem for me and
makes a simple script return a result row, whereas the unpatched version
doesn't (with FreeTDS XXX):

https://gist.github.com/msabramo/6501240

So this would indicate that the problem is with pymssql and not FreeTDS.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why the old code worked with older
versions of FreeTDS? As far as I can tell, dbnumcols should normally
return a positive integer with the number of columns in the result. The
old code is looking for dbnumcols to return a value <= 0. Presumably, this
used to mean something in older versions of FreeTDS?

Marc