[freetds] Can't login to SQL Server using TDSVER 7.2 when user's default database is mirrored

Matt Grimm matt.t.grimm+freetds at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 16:25:24 EDT 2013

Hello,

I've discovered a login issue with FreeTDS connecting to SQL Server using
TDSVER 7.2 when the user's default database is a non-system database and is
mirrored to another server.

The problem exists under following conditions:
  * OS is Linux, RHEL 5.4
  * Driver manager is unixODBC 2.3.1
  * FreeTDS version is 0.91 - 0.92.608 (have not tested other versions)
  * TDSVER = 7.2 (7.1 and 8.0 are ok)
  * SQL Server versions tested are 2005 and 2008
  * Using SQL Server authentication (not domain credentials)
  * A non-system default database (not "master") is assigned to the user
account on one server
  * The database is mirrored to a secondary server

In this case, I /can/ login to the server on which the user account has the
system database "master" assigned as default. However, I /can't/ login to
the other server, where there is a user-defined default database assigned
that is also mirrored to a secondary server.

The exact symptoms vary between server versions:
    SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.5266.00 (X64)
      - Error message: "Bad token from the server: Datastream processing
out of sync".

    SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4266.00 (X64)
    SQL Server 2008 (SP3) - 10.0.5788.0 (X64)
      - Login hangs. See attachments for trace logs.

I'm attaching the trace logs from TDSDUMP. I scrubbed out the personally
identifying packet data, but if that's needed I can provide it privately.
I've also attached the basic C test script I'm using to troubleshoot this
issue.

Regards,
m.