[freetds] FreeTDS with Windows Azure SQL

Jari Turkia jmjt at lut.fi
Wed Sep 4 08:37:52 EDT 2013

This is just to let you know, that development version 0.92 works with
Azure SQL. There seems to be very little information about this in The
Net, so I thought to share my FreeTDS experiment with the community.

Looks like most people don't use the Azure SQL -service, but run their
own DB in a separate virtual machine. That way you have full control on
DB-access, but in this case I chose to use the in-house SQL. I even used
PHP PDO with dblib from an Azure virtual machine and everything was ok.
The only real issue I had was to use one of the newest TDS-versions
FreeTDS has. For example TDS 4.0 and 5.0 won't work.

Details are at:
http://blog.hqcodeshop.fi/archives/111-Using-PHP,-Zend-Framework,-PDO-and-FreeTDS-in-Windows-Azure.html

Regards,
Jari Turkia