[freetds] what are the best build-options for BOTH mssql AND sybase connectivity in same php module

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Mon Jun 3 18:57:36 EDT 2013

On Fri, 31 May 2013 12:58:36 +0200
Knut Behrends <knb at gfz-potsdam.de> wrote:

> In the web server, the php 5.2.17 that I've been using for a few years
> had the native client sybase built-int --sybase-ct build option
> /opt/sybase/OCS-15_0 . That works well. MSSQL support is a new
> requirement to me.
>
> Can I run a "native client" for sybase, and a freetds-based client for
> MSSQL in the same php .so module? Is that even possible?

This is too much of a PHP question for me to answer definitively.  I
don't know how PHP segregates its modules.  If it simply executes
dlopen(), the answer boils down to library symbols.

You can use Sybase's library and FreeTDS's library as long as they
don't provide the same symbols.  You're safe, for instance, to load
Sybase's ct-lib in one module and FreeTDS's db-lib (or ODBC) in
another.  But loading two incompatible versions of ct-lib is begging
for trouble even if it accidentally works.

HTH.