[freetds] tsql command line recall?

Daniel Fazekas fdsubs at t-online.hu
Fri Mar 19 15:07:42 EDT 2010

On Mar 19, 2010, at 19:40, Patrick Taylor wrote:

> I expect that they should be pretty close in functionality though.  The  question is about tsql.  The v0.82 version allows for command line recall by using the up-arrow key.  The v0.82.1.dev.20090618 is now allowing command line recall.  Is this something compiled into the tsql binary?

Yes, it's the Readline library.

> If so, does anyone know if there's a specific configure option I should use to enable this?

The configure script should automatically detect if you have Readline on your system, including its header files.

After you ran configure, check if the generated include/config.h includes this:
/* Define to 1 if you have the GNU Readline library. */
#define HAVE_READLINE 1

It's customary in most Linux distributions that libraries and their header files are distributed as separate packages. You need the headers too if you are to compile new programs yourself to use that library.
For example, on a Red Hat/Fedora system it's insufficient to have the readline package installed, you also need readline-devel.