[freetds] Need for 0.83 as stable version

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Wed Jun 24 18:37:01 EDT 2009

Stuart Henderson wrote:
> freetds-patched.tgz is part-way there, but it has some problems.
> It's a moving target which, as an OS packager, is hard to work with;
> it would be much easier to work with a file that either has a date
> in the filename, or a new minor release, or has some kind of version
> like '0.82pl1'.

I think that's feasible.  I wasn't thinking of packagers (never havinng
been one), but of people who build from source.

All you're asking for is a fixed version number for any given
distribution, patched or not.  With releases, freetds-stable.tgz is just
an alias for (currently) freetds-0.82.tar.gz.  freetds-patched.tgz could
analogously be an alias for (say) freetds-0.82p11.tar.gz.  Seems
reasonable.

In fact, it would make point releases (e.g. 0.82.1) obsolete.  Why bother
specifically labelling them?  Just get the latest patched release.

Erm, it augers for Subversion, which has repository-wide version numbers
that could serve as the "patch number".

I'll see what can be done.