[freetds] Feedback wanted

Per Stenebo per at bends.se
Tue Jun 23 04:25:57 EDT 2009

Thanks a lot! I've incorporated your input.

One small question:
When I tested osql on my (working) connection, I got an error message:

[root at server22 apps]# ./osql -S remoteserver -U dbuser -P dbpass
osql: error: no potential directory strings in "/usr/bin/isql"
isql strings are:
+ /lib/ld-linux.so.2

I found that in a previous post in this list, and followed that advice, but
can't figure out what it means (other than it seems to work despite the
previous error message):

[root at server22 apps]# strace -e connect isql -v remoteserver dbuser dbpass
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = -1
ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = -1
ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = -1
ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = -1
ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(1433),
sin_addr=inet_addr("192.168.0.112")}, 16) = -1 EINPROGRESS (Operation now in
progress)
| Connected!                            |
| sql-statement                         |
| help [tablename]                      |
| quit                                  |
SQL>

I've built from 0.82 source and followed my own HowTo at
http://wiki.contribs.org/ODBC to the letter.
Best Regards /Per Stenebo

2009/6/23 James K. Lowden <jklowden at freetds.org>

> Per Stenebo wrote:
> > I would be most grateful if anyone from you guys would like to stop by
> > and have a look at it so I can make some corrections
>
>         "replace <dbuser> with <'DOMAINNAME\dbuser'> (apostrophe before and
> after).
> Tests suggest that <DOMAINNAME\\dbuser> also work."
>
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/xcu_chap02.html
>
> That is a shell feature.  Cf. sections 2.2.1 and 2.2.2.  Single-quotes and
> backslashes are two ways to escape the backslash separating the domain
> name from the username.  (The character is properly called a "single
> quotation mark", by the way.  It's an "apostrophe" only when it's used
> alone.  No matter what Unicode calls it!)
>
> In your Troubleshooting section, I recommend src/apps/odbc to test the
> osql connection.  It's a shell script that attempts to automatically
> verify the ODBC setup.
>
>        "unixODBC - is an API"
>
> Inte precis, nej.  ODBC defines an Application Programming Interface.
> Some of the API is implemented by a "driver manager".  unixODBC is a
> driver manager.
>
>        "freetds - adding drivers för Sybase and Microsoft"
>
> Please call it "FreeTDS", and you probably don't want the dots over that
> 'o'.
>
> Hoppas det hjälper dig en liten bit.  Har det bra.
>
> --jkl

MVH Per Stenebo
Ballingslöv
0708-78 18 24