[freetds] CTLib patch

Andrew Victor avictor.za at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 17:01:48 EDT 2009

hi Frediano,

> ... it seems that client datatype does not support
> wide characters, isn't it? So you are correctly trying to bind client
> utf-8 (multi-byte) to server wide characters (nvarchar in mssql),
> isn't it?

There must be some data-type mapping to NVARCHAR?  I assumed it was
CS_UNICHAR_TYPE.

> Do you have an example so I can write a small unittests??

I have extended the FreeTDS ctlib unit-test "rpc_ct_param.c", which is attached.
Just ensure you have "client charset = UTF-8" in you freetds.conf

Without the patch the unit-test gives:

Open Client Message:
Message number: LAYER = (0) ORIGIN = (0) SEVERITY = (9) NUMBER = (98)
Message String: Error converting characters into server's character
set. Some character(s) could not be converted

Server message:
Message number: 8016, Severity 16, State 26, Line 1
Server 'xxxx'
Message String: The incoming tabular data stream (TDS) remote
procedure call (RPC) protocol stream is incorrect. Parameter 2
("@nvparam"): Data type 0xA7 has an invalid data length or metadata
length.

> So you bind @email with datafmt->datatype == CS_UNICHAR_TYPE, isn't it ??

Yes.
I assumed:
   CS_CHAR_TYPE = varchar = CP1252 ASCII
   CS_UNICHAR_TYPE = nvarchar = UTF8

> Probably the second :) Well... a bug or a missing feature :)
> CS_UNIVARCHAR_TYPE isn't better ??

I see no CS_UNIVARCHAR_TYPE defined...

Regards,
  Andrew Victor