[freetds] Need for 0.83 as stable version

Frediano Ziglio freddy77 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 15:44:29 EDT 2009

> Frediano said:
>
>> The problem is that usually we release too stable releases :)
>
> I disagree.  I know, "release early and often" is the mantra, and surely
> Linus knows more than I do about building a community and engendering
> excitement amongst developers.  That said, a database communications
> library is not something many people look forward to upgrading.  It's a
> critical piece of infrastructure, linked to by still more critical pieces.
>  Upgrading may involve rebuilding Perl, sqsh, PHP, any number of C or C++
> programs, and no small amount of testing.
>
> Consider how many ML messaages refer to 0,64 even today, code that was
> superseded 18 months ago!  If we'd had 6 releases instead of 1 in the
> meantime, that would only lead to more confusion and segmentation in the
> user community.

Yes, mainly I prefer the "release early and often" but I understand the point.
However I think nobody can expect a stable release to be "monolithic"
and unchangable. Every software have problems and bugs so it needs
minor and maintenance release. We keep post release patches but it
seems that these patch releases are not accepted as the stable one. I
would personally suggest to keep stable for 1/2 years but I would add
subreleases.