[freetds] Connection support only one query at a time

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Fri May 22 09:48:01 EDT 2009

Matthias Cramer wrote:

> I use DBI:Sybase in perl to connect to a MS SQL Server 2008. I do
> several thousand queries in my script and for each it needs to open a
> new connection.

Why do you need to open a second connection every time?  Just maintain two
connections.

There's no "workaround" in the sense that the TDS protocol requires the
client to finish processing the results of a query before issuing another
query on the same connection.  Nothing prevents a client from maintaining
multiple connections, though.

Think of it like a file: your program can have several files open at a
time, but each file handle deals with only one file.

In case you're concerned about the overhead of maintaining the connection,
don't be.  The original Sybase design minimized the memory requirements to
maintain a connection.   At one time it was 15 KB.  As of SQL Server 6.5
it seems to have been 44 KB (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/160234). I
haven't been able to find more recent information, but it would be in the
vendor's interest to continue to keep it as small as possible.

HTH.