[freetds] connection problems - unixODBC, perl

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Wed May 20 01:30:22 EDT 2009

Matthew Fansher wrote:

> ./osql -S CCMS -U my_user -P my_passwd
>
> osql: error: no potential directory strings in "/usr/local/bin/isql"

Argh!  :-(

osql has a -I option to assert the directory.  I'm working on an update
that examines the strings of the dynamic library used by isql.  The logic
is something along these lines:

$ ldd $(command -v isql) | awk '/odbc/ {print $3}' | xargs strings | grep
^/ | while read D; do if [ -r $D/odbc.ini ]; then echo $D; fi; done

/usr/local/etc

Does that work for you?

I'm sure it's a nuisance to debug my script on your machine, but I would
like to make it more useful, so that more people could troubleshoot their
own setups.