[freetds] connection problems - unixODBC, perl

Matthew Fansher mfansher at paloma.com
Tue May 19 11:34:34 EDT 2009

I am able to connect to a SQL Server 2005 server from unix via the tsql
utility, but I'm getting errors when trying to connect via perl. I'm
using the following setup:

freetds-0.82

perl 5.8.8

UnixODBC 2.2.15pre

DBI-1.608

DBD-ODBC-1.21

I've been reading through the freetds docs
(http://www.freetds.org/userguide/odbcdiagnose.htm) and I attempted to
run the osql utility. It returns the following error(s):

./osql -S CCMS -U my_user -P my_passwd

looking for odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini in /tmp/ctisql_XXXXXX

        reading "//.odbc.ini"

[CCMS] not found in "//.odbc.ini"

        reading "/tmp/ctisql_XXXXXX/odbc.ini"

[CCMS] found in "/tmp/ctisql_XXXXXX/odbc.ini"

found this section:

        [CCMS]

         Driver=/usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so

         Description=DEV Test

         Address=172.16.5.43

         Port=1433

         Trace=No

         Database=CCMS

         TDS_Version=8.0

looking for driver for DSN [CCMS]

driver line incomplete for [CCMS] in odbc.ini

looking for driver for DSN [default]

driver line incomplete for [default] in odbc.ini

osql: error: no driver found for [CCMS] in odbc.ini

It sounds like something is wrong with my "Driver" line..?

Thanks in advance.