[freetds] DBD::ODBC::st fetchrow_hashref failed: [unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Data truncated (SQL-01004)

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Sat May 16 16:04:37 EDT 2009

Buurman, H.A. (Herbert) wrote:
> After upgrading to freeTDS 0.82-5 (debian testing), I'm suddenly
> getting these errors when fetching datarows from a prepared and executed
>
> query on an MSSQL server (v 9.0.2047) that I didn't get before.
> I Couldn't find anything about this in the archives
> (no, this is not related to the LongReadLen and LongTruncOK db-connect
> options). DBI		version 1.607
> DBI::DBD	version 12.010405
> DBD::ODBC	version 1.21
> unixodbc	version 2.2.11-16+b1
> TDS version used (in freetds.conf): 8.0
> text size (in freetds.conf): 64512

I would do two things.  First, try to simplify the query and isolate the
column causing the problem.

Second, if that does make the solution obvious, set the DBI trace level to
3 or 4, and TDSDUMP=stdout, and redirect the log output to a file.  The
result will show your programs's output, the DBI trace, and the TDSDUMP,
all interleaved in time.  You should see the ODBC error being provoked,
the data packets that arrived before it, and the metadata describing the
columns and each row.  With luck, that will be enough.

HTH.