[freetds] compiling on red hat 5.3

Kevin Pearce kpearce at ntia.doc.gov
Wed Apr 15 13:33:35 EDT 2009

>From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden at freetds.org>
>Subject: Re: [freetds] compiling on red hat 5.3
>To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds at lists.ibiblio.org>

>You might want to go back and check your logs from a few years ago.
>FreeTDS hasn't ever been able to connect to an Informix server afaik.

My bad at saying informix, I meant sybase.

>From: "Thomas, Christopher (LLU)" <cwthomas at llu.edu>
>Subject: Re: [freetds] compiling on red hat 5.3
>To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds at lists.ibiblio.org>

>Do you need to add anything special arguments when running
./confingure?
>If not, why not just build the rpm packages. This is how you can do
it.

>1) download freetds-stable.tgz
>2) rename file to freetds-0.82.tar.gz
>3) run the following command to build all the freetds rpms: rpmbuild
-tb freetds-0.82.tar.gz

>Chris

Chris I tried that and it looks like it want's unixODBC-devel which I'm
having problems retrieving from Red Hat.  I think I'm having issues with
RHN.

[x at x freetds]# rpmbuild -tb freetds-0.82.tar.gz
error: Failed build dependencies:
        unixODBC-devel >= 2.0.0 is needed by freetds-0.82-1.i386

[x at x freetds]# rpm -qa|grep -i odbc
unixODBC-2.2.11-7.1
mysql-connector-odbc-3.51.12-2.2

The crisis has passed all the data is available via an html page which
I screen scraped to get it into an insertable format for mysql, but it'd
be nice to be able to do direct db queries as we have a large sqlserver
base here.

Thanks for everyone's time/suggestions.  Still would be interested in
anyone who is successful with this.

kp