[freetds] How does one actually *use* FreeTDS?

lists at mgreg.com lists at mgreg.com
Sat Apr 11 10:54:21 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I'm a bit confused as to how to actually go about using the FreeTDS
library.  My ultimate goal is to be able to use it as my means of
contact with MS SQL Server from Mac OS 10.5.6.  I see all kinds of
documentation regarding installation, but very little about actual use
cases.

Perhaps I have the wrong thing in mind, but I'm looking to use the
ODBC Administrator to set up a DSN and take it from there.  I also
have unixODBC installed, but am not quite sure if what I'm looking for
is directly possible?

FYI, I've installed FreeTDS via Macports and have done no manual
configuration, but I'm more than happy to go back and manually install
if that will provide me with what I need.

Best,
Michael