[freetds] Backporting NTLMv2 (was: NTLMv2 support for domain logins using freetds)

Peter Deacon peterd at iea-software.com
Sat Aug 2 13:54:11 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008, Frediano Ziglio wrote:

> Well... MS client have a concept of minimun security, forced usually
> with group policy. Some sort of "do not use LM" or "don't use
> authentications below NTLMv2". Currently not implemented by our library
> but we could do in a near future.

> How does it work this sort of mutual authentication in NTLMv2 ??

Its based on client and server querying the other to make sure both sides
have the same password (hash) in mind.

The server starts the authentication by sending a challenge to the client.

When responding to the server challenge the client can include its own
challenge back to the server to verify the server.

take care,
Peter