[freetds] unicode

Sebastien FLAESCH sf at 4js.com
Fri Aug 1 04:31:07 EDT 2008

Laura,

Just some remarks...

With SQL Server, you must use NCHAR or NVARCHAR to store UNICODE chars.
SQL Server uses UCS-2 on the server side, not UTF-8... However FreeTDS
will support UCS-2/UTF-8 conversion (according to last discussions).

The encoding SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS is for CHAR/VARCHAR columns.

What do you use on the Solaris machine to display the Jap text file?

What is the encoding of that text file?

If it's UTF-8, and you use for example an xterm with vi, you need to:

A- Define LANG or LC_ALL to something like en_US.utf8 or ja_JP.utf8.

B- Make sure the xterm is configured to display the correct code set.

Seb