[freetds] Cannot connect to MSSQL named instance

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Thu Jul 31 19:35:27 EDT 2008

Colin Adams wrote:
> > One must ask why does telnet from the Win32 box not work?  Does ping?
>
> My mistake. It does work on the port where the instance is running
> (1435, as it happens).

It is good that one asks, then!  ;-)

> It doesn't work to 1434 (or 1433, for that
> matter). But would telnet work on a UDP port anyway?

No.

> > TDSDUMP will show the 1434 interaction.
>
> Which section of the user manual describes this (I can't find it yet).

There's nothing in the UG about the contents of the log.  It changes
according to our whim.

> What will it show that strace doesn't?

It will show the attempts to contact the port, and any the contents of any
completely in the log file, but I don't have a convenient way to test it
atm and it turns out Microsoft didn't include a description of that packet
-- not that it's so complex -- in their published documentation of the TDS
protocol.

HTH.