[freetds] Cannot connect to MSSQL named instance

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Wed Jul 30 17:27:00 EDT 2008

Colin Adams wrote:

>> I did try telneting, but I find i can't
>> telnet to any port on that machine (or from a windows machine where
>> sql server management studio works fine with named instances).

> Apprently there is no firewall between the two machines.

One must ask why does telnet from the Win32 box not work?  Does ping?

It seems likely that either name resolution holds some surprise, or that
the server is not answering on the expected ports.  AFAIK 1434 is not
configurable; it's hard to see how it could be.

TDSDUMP will show the 1434 interaction.

HTH.