[freetds] unicode

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Wed Jul 23 14:15:30 EDT 2008

Murray, Laura (US) wrote:
> If I take the N away, the insert works fine, but the characters are
> garbled during transmission, of course.  Actually to be more specific,
> some of the Asian characters appear properly on the SQL Server side, but
> others appear as little boxes.

Can you do:

	select cast(<colname> as binary)
	from JHK_PS_SNOTE at JJPTRNG.AM
	where <key> = 'FTR1'
	-- or whatever produces one row

on SQL Server and on Oracle, so we can compare the difference?  Also, a
TDSDUMP log of the insert flowing to SQL Server will be illuminating.

I think you may be completely stuck. If

1.  your gateway depends on compatible SQL implementations, and
2.  Microsoft requires the 'N' prefix, and
3.  Oracle prohibits it, then

it's hard to see what anyone can do.