[freetds] FreeTDS and UTF-8 support

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Wed Jul 23 13:59:54 EDT 2008

Sebastien FLAESCH wrote:
> > I see no reason support multibyte characters.  I have no problem
> > converting to UCS-2, UTF-8, etc.  But I see no value in using
> > pre-iconv functions or supporting weird encodings.  Unicode is making
> > them obsolete.
> So the idea is to make FreeTDS support multi-byte characters sets, even
> if it's just UTF-8:

Hi Sebastien,

We agree; we're just tripping over terminology.  By "multibyte characters"
I meant pre-Unicode encodings, such as input to mbtowc(3).  I'm happy to
support UTF-8.

UTF-8 basically works now.  The only exception I know of is parameter
buffers in db-lib.  Frediano is working on (I guess) UTF-16.

Regards,