[freetds] unicode

Jason Young (Morgon) morgon at mygamercard.net
Tue Jul 22 13:12:23 EDT 2008

Laura,

FreeTDS does support Unicode using an iconv wrapper defined when you set
the "client charset = UTF8" in freetds.conf like it sounds like you've done.

SQL Server is a pain in regards to sending UTF strings, as you'll need
to prefix all of your quoted strings with capital N, for example:
INSERT INTO utf8_table (utf8string) VALUES (N'???')

Same if you're using stored procedures as well.

Someone tells me that this follows the ANSI standard -- why SQL Server
only chooses to follow the standard when it's more of a pain to the
user, I'll never know ;)

Hope this helps,
-Jason