[freetds] unicode

Murray, Laura (US) Laura.Murray at am.jll.com
Tue Jul 22 13:04:58 EDT 2008

Hi,
We have been successfully using freetds to communicate from our Oracle
9.2 database to a SQL Server database for quite some time.  We have
recently run into a problem, however, with Asian languages.  Japanese
and Chinese characters appear properly in our Oracle database, but
become garbled when we try to send them to the SQL Server database using
freetds.  Does freetds support Unicode?  I saw something on the site
that said it did not, but then found another page that said that it
did....so I am not sure!  I also found some postings about getting
around this problem by setting the client charset = GB2312  in the
freetds.conf file.  I tried that and also tried setting it to UTF-8.
Neither worked.
In our freetds.conf file it lists our tds version as 8.0
Thanks in advance for any help!
--Laurie

This email is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only.  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then
disclose, copy or distribute this email without the author's prior
permission.  We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting
software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on
any attachment to this message.  We cannot accept liability for any loss
or damage caused by software viruses.  The information contained in this
communication may be confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client
privilege. If you are the intended recipient and you do not wish to receive
similar electronic messages from us in the future then please respond to the
sender to this effect.