[freetds] tsql works, unixODBC's isql doesn't

Dan Wierenga dwierenga at valueclick.com
Wed Jul 16 13:23:02 EDT 2008

Hi Joel,

I've no idea if this is your problem, but something that tripped me up
was that unixODBC seemed to want my local odbc*.ini files to be writable
at all times.  Since I don't leave files writable by default (an
artifact of using Perforce as my source control) it couldn't/wouldn't
read my local files.  I set my ODBCSYSINI environment variable to point
at my local configuration files i.e. /home/dwierenga/conf/odbc instead
of the system ones in /etc/.  It seemed to be happy with the "system"
ini files to be readonly and thereafter I could connect via isql.

HTH,
Dan