[freetds] tsql works, unixODBC's isql doesn't

Joel Fouse joel at fouse.net
Wed Jul 16 06:36:27 EDT 2008

> > freetds.conf
> > ========
> > [db01]
> >         host = 192.168.1.101
> >         port = 1434
> >         tds version = 7.0
> >

> strange port, are you sure is not 1433 ?? 1434 is default udp port for instance
> informations.

Yes, this instance is running on an alternate port, and like I said,
tsql connects fine.

> > odbcinst.ini
> > =======
> > [FreeTDS]
> > Description             = TDS driver with Protocol v7.0
> > Driver          = /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
> >
> > [FreeTDS2]
> > Description             = v0.63 with protocol v8.0
> > Driver          = /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
> > Setup           = /usr/lib/libtdsS.so.1
> > UsageCount              = 1
>
> Mmmm... why same file for 2 drivers ??

Simply to have multiple "named" options to play around with, as the
first attempt hadn't worked.  There's no change when I take one of them
out.

> > ===========
> > END odbcinst.ini
> >

> > odbc.ini
> > =====
> > [ODBC Data Sources]
> > db01 = This is db01
> > db01-2 = This is db01-2
> >
> > [Default]
> > Driver          = /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
> >
> > [db01]
> > Description             = This is db01
> > Driver          = /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
> > # Driver                = FreeTDS
> > # Server                = 192.168.1.101
> > Server          = db01
> > # Port          = 1434
> > # tds_version           = 7.0
> > Trace           = Yes
> > Tracefile               = /tmp/odbc.log
> >

> this could work if db01 is the dns name, probably you want Servername, not Server.

I had initially tried Servername, but found alternate instructions to
use Server here:
http://www.unixodbc.org/doc/FreeTDS.html

> > Again, TDSDUMPCONFIG does nothing here.
> >
> > Any help?  Pointers, logging tips, 2x4 upside the head?  I'll take
> > anything.
> >

> You could try a
>
> strace -e connect isql db01-2 $USER $PASS

I'll try that.

- Joel