[freetds] Free TDS compiled ok but I can't connect

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Tue Jul 8 10:32:02 EDT 2008

Ken Tozier wrote:
> I don't have the real settings so I copied that from the TDS site and
> changed a few fields.

Please don't do that; it's extremely deceptive to yourself and everyone
else.  By editing the data, you convert a report into a memoir, with like
effect on veracity.  Intentionally or not, you're making stuff up.

> > user here is ignored. Does telnet work ??
>
> No Idea. ... How would I check?

man telnet and
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/serverthere.htm#SERVERTHERE.TELNET

[PMXDB]
	host = <name>.<domain>.com
	port = 1433
	user = <user>
	tds version = 8.0

"user" is not a server property.  Cf.
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/freetdsconf.htm#FREETDSCONFFORMAT

Please note that freetds.conf is ignored with -H.  Cf. the tsql man page.

> Which yeilds the following error:
>
> Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1, Server , Line 0
> Login failed for user '<user>'.
> Msg 20002, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1
> Adaptive Server connection failed
> There was a problem connecting to the server

> The thing is, I know for a fact that the host and user are valid so
> why can't I connect?

Technically, you did connect.  You didn't log in.

Message 18456 arrived from the server.  You connected, and attempted to
log in.  The server denied you.

HTH.