[freetds] Free TDS compiled ok but I can't connect

Ken Tozier kentozier at comcast.net
Tue Jul 8 02:43:05 EDT 2008

Hi

I downloaded FreeTDS today and configured and installed with the
following

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/freetds --enable-msdblib --with-
tdsver=8.0
make
sudo make install

Next I opened the freetds.conf file and edited the default MSSQL
setup to read (from memory)

[PMXDB]
	host = <name>.<domain>.com
	port = 1433
	user = <user>
	tds version = 8.0

Then I tried to do the tsql connect tests using

Which yeilds the following error:

Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1, Server , Line 0
Login failed for user '<user>'.
Msg 20002, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1
Adaptive Server connection failed
There was a problem connecting to the server

Running /usr/local/freetds/bin/tsql -C yeilds

locale is "C"
locale charset is "646"
Compile-time settings (established with the "configure" script):
                    Version: freetds v0.62.dev.20030804
     MS db-lib source compatibility: yes
          Sybase binary compatibility: no
                                   Thread safety: yes
                                      iconv library: yes
                                      TDS version: 8.0
                                                iODBC: yes
                                            unixodbc: no

The thing is, I know for a fact that the host and user are valid so
why can't I connect?

Any help appreciated