[freetds] [Fwd: Problems configuring php with freetds]

Daniel Fazekas fdsubs at t-online.hu
Thu Jun 5 16:33:46 EDT 2008

On Jun 5, 2008, at 20:01, me at mikesoh.com wrote:

> Nope...no SELinux.  I have Ubuntu

Check with Ubuntu people then, maybe there's a similar procedure.
Wikipedia seems to suggest that they also use SELinux now.

> I tried doing a fopensock on the server.  PHP opens the socket using
> fopensock, but cannot use mssql_connect.

The main issue here is not what PHP is calling, it's that PHP runs
inside your Apache webserver.
Default security policies now often prohibit the webserver to initiate
connections to arbitrary third-party addresses and ports. By default,
it is only allowed to answer incoming requests or use local databases.
If you need more, you have to enable it yourself.

Try to run you PHP script from the command line, rather than the web
environment, and you'll probably see that the database connection is
allowed there.
If not, then just ignore this thread and look elsewhere; starting with
enabling FreeTDS logging:
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/logging.htm