[freetds] Problem retrieveing results from a query with an IMAGE field

Daniel A. Veiga dveiga at advtechnology.com.ar
Mon Jun 2 14:00:45 EDT 2008

Hi,
   My name is Daniel. I'm a programmer at ADV Technology in Argentina.
I'm developing using FreeTDS and came into a problem when retrieving
results from a query that has an IMAGE field in a MSDE (SQL Server)
database.
   I can reproduce the problem systematically:
     - If no row has any data in the IMAGE field -> no problem
     - When a field has something in the blob column I get an error
when trying to close the cursor (Linux Driver Manager log follows)

[ODBC][32484][SQLFreeStmt.c][140]
                Entry:
                        Statement = 0x750380
                        Option = 0
[ODBC][32484][SQLFreeStmt.c][246]
                Exit:[SQL_ERROR]

       If I try to call SQLGetDiagRec to get extended information, the
result is SQL_NO_DATA (strange, should report something if the
previous function returned SQL_ERROR or SQL_SUCCESS_WITH_INFO)

       If I ignore the error and release the Stmt handle, it succeeds,
but look al the log!

[ODBC][32484][SQLFreeHandle.c][372]
                Entry:
                        Handle Type = 3
                        Input Handle = 0x750380
[ODBC][32484][SQLFreeHandle.c][471]
                Exit:[SQL_SUCCESS]
                DIAG [24000] [FreeTDS][SQL Server]Attempt to initiate a
new Adaptive Server operation with results pending

                DIAG [24000] [FreeTDS][SQL Server]Attempt to initiate a
new Adaptive Server operation with results pending

       Trying to alloc a new statement succeeds, but if you try to use
it you get:

                Exit:[SQL_ERROR]
                DIAG [24000] [FreeTDS][SQL Server]Invalid cursor state

        Does anybody know what could be wrong?
        Thanks,

                                 Daniel