[freetds] Compile Question

Ian Goldstein iang at optonline.net
Sun Jun 1 22:37:18 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am trying to access an SQL Server from Solaris 5.8 using perl.
We started with DBD::ODBC, but quickly found out that we do not have the
necessary drivers to access

I did a lot or reading and decided to give freetds a try and use my
DBD::Sybase.

I downloaded version 0.82 of and attempted to compile it using Sunstudio11
on a solaris 8 platform.

I ran configure as follows CC=cc ./configure --prefix=/tmp/freetds with no
problems.  However, the make seems to choke when linking libct with the
following error.

usr/ccs/bin/ld -G -M .libs/libct.so.4.0.0.exp -h libct.so.4 -o
.libs/libct.so.4.0.0  .libs/ct.o .libs/cs.o .libs/blk.o .libs/ctutil.o
-Wl,-z -Wl,allextract ../tds/.libs/libtds.a
../replacements/.libs/libreplacements.a -Wl,-z -Wl,defaultextract  -lnsl
-lsocket -lpthread -lc  -Bsymbolic

ld: fatal: option -z has illegal argument `-Wl,allextract'

ld: fatal: option -z has illegal argument `-Wl,defaultextract'

ld: fatal: Flags processing errors

*** Error code 1

make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libct.la'

Current working directory /tmp/freetds-0.82/src/ctlib

*** Error code 1

make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'

Current working directory /tmp/freetds-0.82/src/ctlib

*** Error code 1

make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'

Current working directory /tmp/freetds-0.82/src

*** Error code 1

NOTE... I am not a c developer, but I took a shot and looked at the error
and was able to manually  link the code.  Then I reverse engineered the
process to find out what to clean up in the Make file.  From there I changed
a single line in the configure script for the solaris section from

lt_prog_compiler='-Wl'    to lt_prog_compiler=''.

I  ran make distclean and reran configure and make and it worked.

I ran a test using tsql, but was unable to connect to the Sql Server.  I
will need to wait till Monday to confirm ports and such as this is more for
a collegue of mine.

I guess, I am wondering if anybody else ran into this?  Is this more a
result of Sunstudio vs. gnu?

Thanks in advance... You will more than likely hear from me again :-).

Ian