[freetds] PHP/FreeTDS on Itanium2 and RHEL 5.1 without recompile

Thomas, Christopher (LLU) cwthomas at llu.edu
Fri May 30 13:58:03 EDT 2008

<snip/>

> It's a long time I don't build any rpm package however:
> - you should be able to recompile FreeTDS with "rpmbuild -ta
> freetds-0.82.tar.gz"

This is how I built the 0.64 version since at the time it wasn't in the
repo. Funny thing is that rpmbuild didn't look in the current directory
for the tar and I had to copy it to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES directory.

> - time ago there was an option to allow package recompile of php
> module... I think you have to recompile php with something like
> "rpmbuild --rebuild --with-mssql php-XXXXX" or was "--define 'mssql
> 1'"... you should find correct option on internet... then you can
> install php module (is not necessary to install again php, just
> php-mssqlXXXX)

A long time ago (Sometime when PHP 4.3.x was shipping), Redhat had the
mssql stuff in the php.spec file. Then they took it out of php and moved
it into php-extras. So, you no longer can do what you describe above.
Now that option is for the php-extras source rpm. I haven't done it in a
while but I think "--define 'mssql 1'" is the rpmbuild option you would
use with php-extras.

Chris