[freetds] TDS versions

Dossy Shiobara dossy at panoptic.com
Thu May 29 13:13:44 EDT 2008

On 2008.05.29, James K. Lowden <jklowden at freetds.org> wrote:
> That is, code that uses "open source project" code explicitly does *not*
> acquire The Pledge in so doing.  Open source projects are covered;
> projects that use them are not.

Ouch.  I think you're right and that is seriously unfortunate.

> Think about that for a second.  It doesn't matter how you use FreeTDS
> (once MARS becomes part of it, if it does).  If you're, say, Bank of
> Morocco and you use FreeTDS as part of DBD::Sybase in an internally
> developed application, you *must* pony up for an MCPP license.  Because
> you're infringing on the patent and are not part of an "open source
> project".  You only "make or use such software outside the scope of
> creating such software".  Ka-ching!

Hmm.  Perhaps we should inquire to Microsoft as to the cost of a MCPP
license, with redistribution rights.  Perhaps the FreeTDS project can
acquire a MCPP license with redistribution rights and "redistribute"
FreeTDS to anyone who wants to link to it?

--
Dossy Shiobara              | dossy at panoptic.com | http://dossy.org/