[freetds] TDS versions

Bob Hetzel beh at case.edu
Wed May 28 16:09:36 EDT 2008

1) Part of that shareholder value they're protection is derived from
patenting stuff before some other nit wit patents it and then sues.  I
believe this has happened in at least one case in the last few years
where somebody got a rather vague patent for something already commonly
used and managed to win a lawsuit over it.  Even if MS won said lawsuit
it will cost more than several lame patents would have cost.  If they
lose, it can easily cost an amount equivalent to hundreds of them.

2) For corporate and individual ego/bragging in advertising/etc. Big
companies routinely patent stuff to say that they're the great
innovators as well as for employees to pad their resume.  Staff
sometimes even get cash rewards for coming up with stuff that winds up
being patented in their employer's name.

However, given past Microsoft practices, I share other's concern.  In
one of their defenses about antitrust issues of bundling their browser
and OS together, they were found to have even doctored a presentation
video they used in court to try to prove their point, but that was a
while back (perhaps 10 years or so).

    Bob