[freetds] Question about MAX param size when calling StoredProc

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Wed May 21 15:39:37 EDT 2008

Navdeep Shergill wrote:
> Microsoft states that they are going to EOL 'image' data type in future
> versions. They expect us to use varbinary(max). Any chance of it being
> supported in FreeTDS?

Chance, yes.  Soon, no.

Cf. the ML "row problem" thread in March 2008.  varchar(max) has a
different protocol representation and breaks important assumptions in the
libtds data structures.  It's not an easy thing to support.  Someone more
paranoid than I am would sense a diabolical purpose....

But don't fret about deprecation; the wind's at your back.  It's a safe
bet FreeTDS will support varchar(max) and varbinary(max) a long time
before Micrsoft drops support for TEXT and IMAGE.  They're still present
in SQL Server 2008.

Other than "vendor guidance" is there any reason to use varbinary(max)
over IMAGE?