[freetds] Question about MAX param size when calling StoredProc

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Tue May 20 18:12:31 EDT 2008

Navdeep Shergill wrote:
> so does that mean that using FreeTDS I can only send a max 8k param
> lenght for Varbinary?

Cf. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa258271(SQL.80).aspx

BINARY and VARBINARY types are restricted to 8000 bytes.  I am pleased to
hear VARBINARY works as expected.

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 allows stored procedures to define parameters of
type TEXT or IMAGE.  I'd expect them to work with FreeTDS nowadays, but
the src/dblib/rpc.c unit test, for instance, doesn't use those types.  If
you try them, I'd be interested to hear back, either way.

--jkl