[freetds] CTime library & MS SQL Server date field.

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Mon May 19 13:17:28 EDT 2008

Enrico Coi wrote:
> how can I
> catch the current time on my machine (using CTime library) and send it
> as a record field in a MS SQL 2005 DB?

The best answer is: don't.  Instead, define the column with a default of
getdate() and let the server set the time when you insert the row.  If you
want the same on updates, write a trigger, or include that in your stored
procedure.  (You are using stored procedures, right?)

Second choices:

1.  time(3), localtime(3), and strftime(3).
2.  SELECT getdate() from the server.

The server is pretty flexible about input formats.  I recommend YYYYMMDD:

1> select cast('20070102 13:14:15' as smalldatetime)
2> go

 Jan 02 2007 01:14PM

> how can i run the cross compiled FreeTDS into a chroot jail?

I can't think of anything special about FreeTDS concerning chroot except
getting freetds.conf (and the libraries, of course) in the right places.
That's just a question of setting up your environment and, yes, OT here.

HTH.