[freetds] FreeTDS Digest, Vol 64, Issue 12

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Sat May 10 14:05:29 EDT 2008

Federico Alves wrote:
> Microsoft determined that the problem that brought SQL Server down was
> "set implicit_transactions on" What causes the change in behavior?
> Microsoft thinks that this should be off, otherwise every transaction
> must be committed explicitly in code.

I am sorry for your loss.  That sounds like absolutely no fun.

If you look at a TDSDUMP log, you will find that at no point does tsql
(or, of its own accord, any part of FreeTDS) send "SET
IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS ON" to the server.  If IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS is ON
when you connect with tsql, it's because it's a server setting, probably a
database default.  Full stop.

Questions for Microsoft:

1.  Why didn't you point to the database settings?
2.  Why do repeated rollbacks lead to a server crash?
3.  Isn't a server crash ipso facto a bug?

HTH.